Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Brain & Brasch : Welcome to Barcelona

Would you believe it, in my excitement over the upcoming fashion week in Copenhagen, I COMPLETELY forgot about Barcelona! And as luck would have it, Caroline is there (many thanks to Not So Swedish's Gill Ford for the tip! :). I say luck, but I guess it should have been expected. It's not like she didn't walk Barca last season. And she also seems determined to walk every fashion week that exists.

She started off yesterday with two looks at Brain & Beast. The Spanish label turned out a collection rife with combinations of bright and dark colours, cozy knitwear and leather, and an overarching theme of attention-grabbing tartans.



A few hours later, she showed up at Tsolo Munkh, a fashion house headed by Mongolian-born, Parisian-based designer Tsolmandakh Munkhuu. Munkhuu's brand is still in it's infancy, having only just been born last year, and I have to say, I'm interested in seeing how she develops as a designer. I skimmed through the collection, pick up on a lot of black, a lot of leather, and what I interpreted as a punky, nomadic style, which have been permeating a lot of collections in the past few years with the rise of Balmain, and the affinity of many off-duty models for leather jackets and motocross pants. But then I paid a bit more attention, and picked up on certain coloured elements of the line, and noted a kind of exotic feel to the clothes that is not unlike what I sometimes associate with Rick Owens. Reading the description, I learned that Munkhuu actually took a host of traditional Buddhist elements and silhouettes and integrated them into the collection, melding the forces of the modern west with the ancient eastern tradition. I'll have to do a bit of a reconsideration on Rick Owens' collections, but I wonder if he's drawing on similar influences and concepts? Either way, I'm intrigued by Munkhuu, and look forward to seeing her work evolve. Especially if she gives The Brasch the honour of closing her show.


Today, Caroline also walked for Justicia Ruano 9PM, but the day is not yet done, so I'll wait on that one until we see if she shows up anywhere else! I'm wondering whether she plans to stick around for all of Barcelona? Copenhagen starts on Wednesday, which is also the final day in Spain... Will she skip the first day of Copenhagen in favour of the tail-end of Barcelona, or vice-versa? Will she even go to Denmark at all? OH the suspense!

Photos courtesy of 080barcelonafashion.com

No comments:

Post a Comment