Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Softer Side Of Chanel

Caroline walked for Chanel today with two looks, both of similar style (I daresay she's rocking the same pair of pants in both... Are we thinking along the lines of a piece that goes with everything, or were things a little rushed backstage?).




Showing at a more modest venue than we are used to for Chanel (though it seems we should be getting used to it, smaller venues appear to be #trending with Karl Lagerfeld in recent years), the greatest fashion house of them all sent the models down the runway with characteristic grace in garments of like style but softer tones as compared to the Spring/Summer collection. It was all very Chanel, but at the same time, very much a contemporary take on her stereotype. I loved the sash detail on Caroline's second outfit: it added a sort of whimsical touch to the outfit, which otherwise might have seemed a more on the futuristic side. Just a small thing, but for me it made a world of difference.

I also though the chokers used were rather interesting, for much the same reason. They recalled for me a Victorian age of style (Chanel herself was of course born in the tail end of this period, and grew up with this style, indeed, she helped usher the style out), where women's clothes were more often than not very restricting of movement, and manners were extremely important. The choker, being here fastened behind the head (it seems to be attached to a bun beneath the hair, actually) unnaturally restricts the models from turning their heads without breaking the ribbon, which had me thinking of the blinders we put on horses, forcing them to look straight ahead. It also appears to stop them from drooping their heads and thus stand straight and tall.

I'm curious as to why the chokers have been used? Their very function seems to be contradictory of precisely what Chanel stands for (at least in my mind). Yes, you must be polite and proper and all that, but for me, Chanel has always been about a rebellion against that Victorian era of fashion, allowing women to free themselves from inhibitions, whether that be in relation to their corsets or the hiding of their opinions. So you see, the choker addition almost seems a contradiction?

Anyway, I am glad to see Caroline at Chanel yet again. I was also pleased with the appearances of fellow Scandinavians Dorothea Barth Jorgensen and Sara Blomqvist (no relation to this Blomqvist, I pinky swear). I've been commenting on how I wish Caroline got more print work, but those two really should have more projects themselves. Sara especially: I don't think I've seen the Queen of London take a bad picture yet!

Valentino and (hopefully) Elie Saab tomorrow! Who knows, we might be in for some more surprises!

Photos courtesy of style.com and nowfashion.com

No comments:

Post a Comment